Sunday, September 25, 2016

MAKARENE UNDERGROUND - Indian Ocean (Reunion And Mauritius Subculture) [Rebel Planet Records, 1991]

First post of a new blog that I've been planning on doing, or has been in the back of my head, for quite some time now. And with the purchase of an RCA to USB adapter recently, I finally have a means to share all the music that I love with the world. Hopefully I'll be able to track down more music of artists that I only have a few songs from. Please check out the WANT/WISH list to the right and contact me if you have any of those bands' music. 

And now for the first post. We have one of the four Rebel Planet tapes with bands from the Indian Ocean countries/territories of Reunion Island and Mauritius! The tape was compiled by Lük Haas in 1991, who would then go on to start the absolutely exceptional TIAN AN MEN 89 punk record label, which all their releases will hopefully be posted here sooner than later. 



The Mauritius side starts off the tape. All the bands play great reggae tunes, totally enjoyable to listen too, but still has a totally DIY/raw lofi quality that I completely love. The Reunion Island side is a bit more raw having two punk bands and a, what I'll call, 'classic rock' playing band, plus a weird improvization from another group. Acid and Les Fuckers are raw garage punk, totally unexpected from a place like Reunion Island in the early 90s in my mind! I remember reading an interview with Lük about his travels there and he found news of Les Fuckers from a local paper or something but couldn't find any contact info, but was able to get the names of the kids in the band. So he was able to eventually track down the contact info by posing as the kids' parents at a local school and got one of their phone numbers too call them up and was able to get music from them. I'm a little hazy on the details but that's the gist of it.

If you have any info of new bands or the scene in Reunion Island or Mauritius, please contact me! It would be great to see what is happening 25 years later.

dl link...
Makarene Underground!


No comments:

Post a Comment